Within your Bill.com account, you can create and send invoice to customers -- even customers who don't use Bill.com.
Create and send invoices
- Select Invoices in the navigation menu, then select Create new invoice
- If you are in the mobile app, select on the + plus sign in the top left corner, then select Create an invoice
- Enter the invoice details
- Customer Name (required): The company or person being billed. If you are connected to the customer in the Bill.com Network, the invoice will automatically become an eInvoice, sent directly to their Bill.com account. If not, they will receive the invoice as a PDF attachment within an email.
- Invoice Number (required)
- Amount (required)
- Due Date (required - defaults to today's date): will auto-calculate if Payment Terms is entered
- For security, the due date must be within a year of today's date
- Add an attachment
- Select Use advanced invoices to complete additional fields or attach documents
- Payment Terms: The agreed upon terms of the payment due date
- Invoice Date (defaults to today's date)
- For security, the invoice date must be within a year of today's date
- Item: Details about the product or service being invoiced
- Select Add row to add more line items
- Customer Message: Any extra details to help the customer understand and submit payment on the invoice
- Select Preview & Send
- If you are in the mobile app, select Done, then select Send to customer. Edit the message, and select Send.
- Select Submit
- If needed, toggle the Notify by Email to edit the email message, add additional email addresses to receive the invoice and select Submit
- If you’re connected to your customer within the Bill.com network, the invoice will go straight to your customer’s Bill.com account
- If you’re not connected to your customer within the Bill.com network, the invoice will be sent via email
Track your invoice
The Invoice tracker will keep you up to date on the status of the invoice and shows you 5 possible statuses:
- Sent - the date you sent the invoice to your customer
- Accepted - the date your customer entered the bill into their Bill.com account
- Approved - the date your customer approves the bill for payment, if they use an approval workflow
- Payment Incoming - the date the payment will deposit in your bank account
- Paid outside of Bill.com - your customer has marked this invoice as paid without sending a live payment through Bill.com
- The invoice will still show as unpaid in your account until you record a manual payment on it. Contact your customer for more information on payment.