Bill.com offers six (6) pre-defined roles, allowing various levels of accessibility and control on our advanced accounts. With user roles, people both inside or outside your company can participate in your Payables and Receivables processes without having to provide them access to your bank account or accounting system functions. Custom roles may also be available for more granular permissions settings, depending on the account's price plan.
Permissions by Role
The Administrator role oversees the company's use of Bill.com and has access to all functions.
An Administrator can:
- Approve bills
- Authorize payments
- Schedule payments, including pay unapproved and unassigned bills
- Manage user access (such as adding and deactivating users)
- Set up and run the sync
Note: Administrators typically have signing authority on your bank account because they can authorize bill payments. There must be at least one active Administrator in your account at all times.
The Accountant role can manage the payables processes, but cannot pay bills. The Accountant's primary tasks are to enter bills and to sync with the accounting system.
An Accountant can:
- Approve bills, but not schedule payments
- Record payments made outside of Bill.com
- Set up and run the sync
Note: The Accountant role is not able to manage users or view/manage banking information.
The Clerk role is permission to only enter bills.
The Approver role reviews bills and vendor credits entered in Bill.com before authorizing them for payment.
An Approver can:
- Review bills
- Approve bills and vendor credits
- Deny bills and vendor credits
The Payer role is only able to pay bills.
A Payer can:
- Record payments
- Pay bills
Any user paying bills must complete identity verification to become authorized to use the bank account in Bill.com. A Payer cannot enter or approve bills. Additionally, a Payer can only pay bills up to the approved bill amount, thus enabling a clear separation of duties in a company.
Auditor (View only)
The Auditor role is a view-only role. Users with this role can view all account and transaction information in the Bill.com account but can't edit or approve anything. Note: This role is view only, but the standard user fee applies to this role. Please current pricing for per-user cost.
Things to know
- Subscription-free Basic accounts will only be able to select the Administrator role for users as features are limited on those accounts. To assign other roles and use advanced features, upgrade your account
- If you are an Administrator or are assigned a Custom user role with Manage Roles permissions, you can create new Custom Roles