We have identified an issue with 2-way Bill sync when Bills are linked to Purchase Orders (PO) in QuickBooks for Windows.
Bills can be linked to a PO in QuickBooks. When such a Bill is synced into Bill.com and edited in Bill.com, when the edit syncs back to QuickBooks the link between the bill and PO is broken.
To remediate this issue we have disabled the 2-way bill sync feature for QuickBooks for Windows. We're actively working on a resolution. We will be reaching out to accounts that were previously using this feature enabled by Sept. 25, 2020.
To prevent the issue with bills linked to POs, you will need to upgrade to our latest version of the sync dashboard. See Sync Dashboard upgrade to do so.
Also, to prevent breaking the link between your bills and POs within QuickBooks for Windows, the PO# field will no longer be editable in Bill.com. You will need to update the PO# field within QuickBooks for Windows.
If you don't see the option to enable 2-way bill sync under your sync preferences within Bill.com, and you have already upgraded your sync dashboard to the latest version, an Admin user or user with manage company permissions can contact Customer Support by clicking Contact Us at the top of this page so we can make it available for you.
2-way bill sync
Bill.com adds choice and efficiency for QuickBooks for Windows (Pro, Premier and Enterprise) with the release of 2-Way Bill Sync. Once turned on, QuickBooks customers can choose to start their payment workflow on both QuickBooks or Bill.com with a two-way sync. Reduce manual data entry by creating a bill once in QuickBooks and syncing to Bill.com for easy approvals and payments. After a bill is created, edits or status changes are also kept up to date on both systems through a two-way live sync.
This feature is launching in phases so stay tuned! Once enabled, you will see an in product announcement.
How 2-way bill sync works
In our existing integration with QuickBooks for Windows, we only supported bill creation and edits in Bill.com, which then synced over to QuickBooks for Windows.
With QuickBooks for Windows 2-way bill sync enabled we will sync:
- New fully unpaid bills from QuickBooks for Windows
- Bill edits from QuickBooks for Windows
- Bill deletes from QuickBooks for Windows
- PO NO. field on bills
What won't sync:
- Offline payments applied to bills in QuickBooks for Windows (full or partial)
- Best practice is to record offline payments in Bill.com and allow that to sync to QuickBooks for Windows
- If recording the offline payment in QuickBooks for Windows first, you will need to manually record the same offline payment in Bill.com and mark it not to sync
- Updates to fully paid bills will not sync from QuickBooks for Windows; i.e. increasing the amount of the bill
- If you have Multi-Currency enabled in Bill.com but not enabled in QuickBooks for Windows, the foreign currency bill created in Bill.com will sync to QuickBooks for Windows in the USD equivalent. Edits to these bills in QuickBooks for Windows will not sync back to Bill.com
- Updates to the Items tab on bills linked to a PO in QuickBooks for Windows
Things to know
- For accounts that previously had this feature enabled, once the resolution is in place and we re-enable 2-way bill sync, it will attempt to sync in all bills since we turned off this feature. If you don't want to sync in those bills, please contact Customer Support by clicking Contact Us at the top of this page.
- We are now syncing the PO NO. field on the bill from QuickBooks for Windows
- Since QuickBooks for Windows does not require a PO# for POs, if a bill is linked to a PO that doesn't have a PO#, N/A will be in the PO# field on the bill in Bill.com
- In QuickBooks, you can link a bill to multiple POs. We will only display one PO# on the bill in Bill.com.
- A bill not linked to a PO will display a “-” in the PO# field on the bill in Bill.com when viewing the bill
- If you clear the PO# field or edit the PO# field on a bill in Bill.com that is linked to a PO in QuickBooks, updates to the Items tab will still not sync to QuickBooks. The sync dashboard, when syncing a bill update, will check if the bill line items are linked to POs. If any of the line items are linked to POs, then ALL item rows will not sync to QuickBooks.
- You can still edit the bill linked to a PO in Bill.com, including Items:
- Edits to bill headers in Bill.com will sync to QuickBooks
- Edits to bill expense line items in Bill.com will sync to QuickBooks - Edits/deletions of line items on the Items tab in Bill.com on a bill that is linked to POs in QuickBooks will not sync
- The Sync Dashboard details tab will show a message but there will be no sync error. Bill-PO linkage is retained in QuickBooks. Make edits to Items in QuickBooks.
- If you delete a bill in Bill.com and that bill is linked to a PO in QuickBooks, the bill will be deleted in QuickBooks
Enable 2-way bill sync
Requirement: The 2-way bill sync feature will require sync dashboard version #2.1.3561.1 or later. To upgrade your sync dashboard, see Sync dashboard upgrade.
For Accounts integrating with QuickBooks for Windows, created before August 8, the 2-way bill sync feature can be enabled under sync preferences.
- Once enabled, this feature can't be disabled
- Once enabled, new bills created going forward will have 2-way sync
- Bills created before 2-way bill sync will have 2-way bill sync if edits are performed to those bills
- Click Settings
- Click Preferences under Sync
- Click the Edit icon
- Select the box next to *Sync bills from QuickBooks desktop to BDC)
- Click Yes to confirm
- Click Save
Things to know
- For a bill that has never synced from QuickBooks for Windows to Bill.com, if the payment on that bill is deleted or voided which returns the bill to a fully unpaid status, that bill will then sync to Bill.com.