Bill.com adds choice and efficiency for QuickBooks Desktop (Pro, Premier, and Enterprise) with the release of 2-Way Bill Sync. Once turned on, QuickBooks customers can choose to start their payment workflow on both QuickBooks or Bill.com with a two-way sync. Reduce manual data entry by creating a bill once in QuickBooks and syncing to Bill.com for easy approvals and payments. After a bill is created, edits or status changes are also kept up to date on both systems through a two-way live sync.
- How 2-way bill sync works
- Enable 2-way-bill sync
- Bills unlinked from Purchase Orders in QuickBooks
- Things to know
How 2-way bill sync works
In our existing integration with QuickBooks Desktop, we only supported bill creation and edits in Bill.com, which then synced over to QuickBooks Desktop.
With QuickBooks Desktop 2-way bill sync enabled we will sync:
- New fully unpaid bills from QuickBooks Desktop
- Bill edits from QuickBooks Desktop
- Bill deletes from QuickBooks Desktop
- PO NO. field on bills
What won't sync:
- Offline payments applied to bills in QuickBooks Desktop (full or partial)
- Best practice is to record offline payments in Bill.com and allow that to sync to QuickBooks Desktop
- If recording the offline payment in QuickBooks Desktop first, you will need to manually record the same offline payment in Bill.com and mark it not to sync
- Updates to fully paid bills will not sync from QuickBooks Desktop; i.e. increasing the amount of the bill
- If you have Multi-Currency enabled in Bill.com but not enabled in QuickBooks Desktop, the foreign currency bill created in Bill.com will sync to QuickBooks Desktop in the USD equivalent. Edits to these bills in QuickBooks Desktop will not sync back to Bill.com
- Updates to the Items tab on bills linked to a PO in QuickBooks Desktop
Things to know
- We are now syncing the PO NO. field on the bill from QuickBooks Desktop
- Since QuickBooks Desktop does not require a PO# for POs, if a bill is linked to a PO that doesn't have a PO#, N/A will be in the PO# field on the bill in Bill.com
- In QuickBooks, you can link a bill to multiple POs. We will only display one PO# on the bill in Bill.com.
- A bill not linked to a PO will display a “-” in the PO# field on the bill in Bill.com when viewing the bill
- If you clear the PO# field or edit the PO# field on a bill in Bill.com that is linked to a PO in QuickBooks, updates to the Items tab will still not sync to QuickBooks. The sync dashboard, when syncing a bill update, will check if the bill line items are linked to POs. If any of the line items are linked to POs, then ALL item rows will not sync to QuickBooks.
- You can still edit a bill linked to a PO within Bill.com:
- Edits to bill headers in Bill.com will sync to QuickBooks
- Edits to bill expense line items in Bill.com will sync to QuickBooks
- Edits/deletions of line items on the Items tab in Bill.com on a bill that is linked to POs in QuickBooks will not sync
- The Sync Dashboard details tab will show a message but there will be no sync error. Bill-PO linkage is retained in QuickBooks.
- Make edits to Items in QuickBooks
- If you delete a bill in Bill.com and that bill is linked to a PO in QuickBooks, the bill will be deleted in QuickBooks
Enable 2-way bill sync
Requirement: The 2-way bill sync feature will require sync dashboard version #2.1.3561.1 or later.
- Once enabled, this feature can't be disabled
- Once enabled, new bills created going forward will have 2-way sync
- Bills created before 2-way bill sync will have 2-way bill sync if edits are performed to those bills
To enable, users with the Sync with Accounting System permission will:
- Select Settings
- Select Preferences under Sync
- Select the Edit icon
- Select the box next to Sync bills from QuickBooks desktop to BDC
- Select Yes to confirm
- Select Save
Bills unlinked from Purchase Orders in QuickBooks
To prevent bills being unlinked from Purchase Orders (POs), upgrade to our latest version of the sync dashboard.
Things to know
- For a bill that has never synced from QuickBooks Desktop to Bill.com, if the payment on that bill is deleted or voided which returns the bill to a fully unpaid status, that bill will then sync to Bill.com.