Note: Due to current circumstances, returned checks may increase due to your vendors' potentially closed businesses and reduced business hours. We highly suggest contacting your vendors to ensure they will be receiving mail, before sending paper checks. This is a great time to get all your vendors setup for ePayments!
- What is a returned check?
- Why was a check returned?
- How do I resolve a returned check?
- How will it sync?
What is a returned check?
If a check sent by Bill.com is unable to be delivered via USPS, it is mailed back to our offices and destroyed, and we notify your payer and admin via email, as well as add the payment to the Failed payments tab of the Payments out page.
Why was a check returned?
There can be a number of reasons why checks are returned. The most common ones are as follows:
- Invalid mailing address
- Check can not be delivered due to incorrect address
- Insufficient information on check or invoice
- The vendor does not know how to apply the payment with the given information
- Duplicate payment
- Payment was already received from the vendor regarding the payment account
We are unable to obtain detailed information from USPS on the reason for the returned check as they do not keep those records. We suggest contacting the vendor to be sure you have their current address including any suite numbers or additional details, make sure they expect the payment so they do not return to sender, etc. then reissue payment.
This is also a great opportunity to get the vendor setup for ePayments instead!
How do I resolve a returned check?
If you receive notification that a check was returned to us, you will need to either void and remit (credit the funds back to your account), or fix any necessary information on the vendor record and then void and reissue the payment.
You must be logged in to the desktop website to void payments, you cannot void payments in the mobile app.
To void and remit or void and reissue:
- Select Payments out in the navigation menu
- Select the Failed payments tab
- Note: You can only see the Failed payments tab if you are verified on a bank account.
- On the same line item as the payment, under the Actions column, select Void
- Select to Remit or Reissue
- Remit - the funds will be returned to the originating bank account
- Reissue - a new check using the same funds will be sent to the vendor
- Enter a reason for the void
- Select Submit Request
** Note: If no action is taken on a returned check after 90 days from the returned date, the payment will automatically void, the funds will be remitted to the bank account (if it is still active), and the original bill(s) will return to unpaid or partially paid as the case may be. You can then pay the bill again, delete if it is completely unpaid, or edit as desired.
How will it sync?
Void and remit If you void and remit a returned check, it will attempt to sync to your accounting software if you sync with one, and may cause errors if the payment date is within a closed period. You can clear these errors from your sync status page if the option is available, or contact Customer Support for assistance.
Void and reissue If you void and reissue a returned check, that will not sync, and the original payment record will remain in your accounting software. If you want to update the payment date to the new reissued date, manually update the payment record in your accounting software.