When working in Bill.com, if you are not receiving multi-factor authentication (MFA) codes, there are a few important things you can try to troubleshoot the issue.
- Codes are not arriving
- Receiving codes when out of the country
- Adding a backup number
- Alternate backup options
- Contacting Support if you can't login
- Things to know
Codes are not arriving
- Codes must be sent directly. They cannot be routed to an extension. Always use a direct line for MFA
- The device may need to be restarted
- The carrier may not allow short codes (this is the 4 digit number from which the code is sent). Please contact Customer Support if you think this may be the case
- If the phone is unable to receive codes, please try using Google Voice or Skype (see below)
- Customer Support can check to see if the codes are being sent. Please contact Support if the above solutions are not working
Receiving codes when out of the country
MFA may not be available outside the United States (US) if the device will not receive calls or text messages while out of the country. As a work around, in case the US number does not work internationally, adding a backup number that can receive the codes would be the best alternative.
Access to the primary number is necessary to add the secondary number, so make sure that a backup is entered prior to leaving the country!
Adding a backup number
- Click Settings
- Under the You section, click Security
- Above the Backup Phone section, click Add Backup MFA
- Follow the prompts to complete the setup
- You can use either a backup phone number or Google Authenticator
Alternate backup options
Here are a couple of suggestions if a back-up number within Bill.com is not an option:
- Google Voice
- If Google voice is not available, try using Skype, as it is widely available in multiple countries.
Contacting Support if you can't login
If you can't access your primary or backup numbers, or you are not receiving codes after trying these tips, click Having trouble? and then Contact support.
Things to know
- It is best practice to not share numbers or use another person's phone number for MFA
- MFA is available via text to international numbers. For more information, please click here