Bill.com now lets you pay international vendors electronically, making cross-border business payments just as easy as domestic. It's the newest addition to the payment solution you know and love. Compared to your bank, Bill.com is a more cost-effective way to make International payments.
If you are a vendor outside of the US and you'd like to receive payments from a customer who uses Bill.com, give your international banking information to your customer and they can add it to their account to send you payments.
View the following product guide to learn more: International Payments Guide
- What is Bill.com International Payments and who can use it?
- What is multi-currency?
- I have been using banks to send payments. How is Bill.com different?
- What is the difference between ACH and wire payments?
- What will Bill.com charge for International payments?
- Where will I see charges made for international payments?
- How do I add another account?
- Does Bill.com use third parties to execute international transactions and how are they selected?
- Will my vendor incur any charges for receiving funds?
- Are International payments available for Receivables?
- What rights does my vendor have to their personal information and how do they get access?
- My vendor has questions about Bill.com and this transaction. Should I direct them to Bill.com Support?
- What countries can I send International Payments to?
- When will other countries be supported?
- Can I send invitations to international vendors?
- Are International Payments supported on mobile?
- Will I be able to send some payments via check and others via wire payments?
- Can I enter bills in foreign currency?
- How do I sync my bills in foreign currency?
- Are there any limits to the amount I can send to International vendors?
- What is the exchange rate when paying an international vendor in a foreign currency?
- I made a transaction in Bill.com, and the FX rate does not match the rate I found on [Google, OANDA, etc.] Why is that?
- When will I be able to see the exchange rate during the foreign vendor payment process?
- How long does it take for vendors to receive payment?
- How do I know how much my vendor will receive?
- Can I combine international payments?
- Can I cancel or void my international payments?
- Can I recall a payment after it has been processed?
- What happens if an international payment fails?
- What happens if I remove or change the vendor's bank information?
What is Bill.com International Payments and who can use it?
- Bill.com is a business payments platform. With our international payments solution, we enable our customers to make electronic payments to their vendors outside the US for business or commercial purposes.
- Bill.com’s international payments solution is available to business entities such as corporations, LLC and partnerships and to sole proprietors that use our service to make business or commercial payments. Our service is not designed for consumers and we may decline transactions from individuals if they are intended for personal, family or household purposes.
- This feature is available for all advanced accounts with a paid suscription
What is multi-currency?
- Multi-currency is the ability to enter your bill in a foreign currency. This is separately enabled. If you are interested in multi-currency and it is not turned on, reach out to customer support.
- For accounts syncing with Oracle NetSuite, the foreign currency must already exist within Oracle NetSuite
I have been using banks to send payments. How is bill.com different?
- Bill.com lets you manage all your payments in one place with a streamlined workflow
- Bill.com charges no wire transfer fee for payments to vendors in their local currencies, helping you to better manage cash flow better and save money
- The fee for International Payments in USD is just $9.99 with Bill.com, while the average wire transfer fee charged by banks is $38†
†Based on the average published outgoing international wire transfer fee charged by the top 10 U.S. banks according to the FDIC, for payments in local currencies. This fee excludes currency conversion rates.
What is the difference between ACH and wire payments?
- An automated clearing house (ACH) is an electronic funds-transfer run by the National Automated Clearing House Association (NACHA) to move funds from an account domiciled in a US based financial institution to an account in another US based financial institution. Wires on the other hand is another method where you could also send funds to an account outside the country of the payer. Bill.com uses wires to send funds to a beneficiary located outside US.
What will Bill.com charge for international payments?
- For payments made in local foreign currencies, we do not charge a wire transfer fee and offer a competitive exchange rate, which includes a conversion fee applied by Bill.com
- USD to USD payments are $9.99 for the wire transfer fee
Where will I see charges made for international payments?
- Charges will be found in your monthly billing statement
How do I add another account?
- Send your request via an email ticket to Customer Support from within the Support Center
Does Bill.com use third parties to execute international transactions and how are they selected?
- Yes, Bill.com does use a third party. As part of our process, we use carefully selected third party vendors to deliver capabilities complementary to the services we provide to our customers. All vendors undergo a comprehensive vetting process, including information security, risk and compliance assessment prior to being selected. In addition, all vendors are subjected to ongoing oversight in line with our vendor management policies and procedure.
Will my vendor incur any charges for receiving funds?
To avoid high bank fees and lifting fees from intermediary banks, use Bill.com to deliver the payment in your vendor’s local currency. For international payments in local currency, there are no intermediary bank charges, so your vendor receives the full payment amount.
If your vendor prefers to receive the payment in USD, the fee is only $9.99. However, like any other USD wire, intermediary banks may charge your vendor additional fees. Bill.com does not have control over intermediary bank fees when you send payments in USD.
An intermediary bank is a bank that acts on behalf of the vendor’s bank. Payments will reach the intermediary bank before being credited to the vendor.
Are International payments available for Receivables?
- This feature is only available for Payables
What rights does my vendor have to their personal information and how do they get access?
Canadian consumers (which may include sole proprietorships for example) have certain rights with respect to their personal information. If your vendor is a sole proprietor or independent contractor, and has questions about their personal information with Bill.com, please direct your vendor to email@example.com.
My vendor has questions about Bill.com and this transaction. Should I direct them to Bill.com Support?
The Bill.com service processes international payments for you, our payables customer. If your vendor has any questions, apart from questions related to personal information, we ask that you communicate with your vendor directly. Please do not direct your vendor to Bill.com support.
What countries can I send International Payments to?
- See International Payments: Country Information in the Resources section below.
When will other countries be supported?
- If a country is not on the list that you would like to send funds to, please contact Customer Support by clicking Contact Us to submit your request.
Can I send invitations to international vendors?
- Yes! You can invite your international vendors to enter their own bank information for international payments.
Are International Payments supported on mobile?
- International Payments are supported on the Bill.com Mobile app, both IOS and Android. For International vendors already setup for International Payments online, they can be paid within the mobile app.
- If multi-currency is enabled on the Bill.com account and International vendors have already been set up for foreign currency bills online, foreign currency bills can be created within the mobile app.
- Setting up an International vendor to be paid through Bill.com, or to have foreign currency bills must be done on a desktop browser or mobile browser via the online version of Bill.com
Will I be able to send some payments via check and others via wire payments?
- The payment method is managed at the vendor level. The default payment method for vendors is check until the vendor’s international bank account information is added. Once a vendor bank account is added, the payment method for the vendor will be wire payments until the bank account is removed.
Can I enter bills in foreign currency?
- Yes, you can enter and manage bills in foreign currencies. We support multi-currency sync for QuickBooks for Windows, QuickBooks Online, Xero, Oracle NetSuite and Sage Intacct if the feature is available in your accounting software.
- If you are interested in multi-currency, it can be enabled under the Features section on the Settings page.
- If you don't see the feature available and your account is not under an accountant's Console account, you can reach out to customer support.
- If your account is under your accountant's Console, please contact a Console Admin to enable the feature for you.
- If you are interested in multi-currency, it can be enabled under the Features section on the Settings page.
How do I sync my bills in foreign currency?
- The sync for foreign currency vendors & transactions works the same as for domestic vendors and transactions.
Are there any limits to the amount I can send to International vendors?
- The minimum amount of an International payment must be over $1. Any payments that are $1 or less will auto void.
- There are no amount limits but a payment in a large amount may take an extra 2 days.
What is the exchange rate when paying an international vendor in a foreign currency?
- Exchange rates fluctuate constantly so it is difficult to provide an accurate number. The exchange rate that Bill.com offers is competitive with market rates.
I made a transaction in Bill.com, and the FX rate does not match the rate I found on [Google, OANDA, etc.] Why is that?
- That is called the mid-market rate, or inter-bank rate. It’s the rate that very large financial institutions, like banks, use when they trade currencies amongst themselves. This is never the rate that individuals or businesses will get when they conduct these transactions.
When will I be able to see the exchange rate during the foreign vendor payment process?
- If using our Multi-Currency feature, the ability to enter a bill in foreign currency, we will provide an indicative exchange rate when entering bills in foreign currency but it may change based on when the payment is made. When scheduling the payment (clicking pay), you will see the USD equivalent which will be debited from your account.
- For USD bills paid in foreign currency, the exchange rate used is at the time the payment processes at 2 AM PT. The amount the vendor receives will be displayed on the payment details page once the payment has deposited.
How long does it take for vendors to receive payment?
Payment timing can vary depending on the country of beneficiary, the amount sent, and the time it takes to get the funds from your bank account. We will provide you with an estimated delivery time when you schedule the payment.
- Also note that exact time of funds being made available on vendor’s bank account may vary from bank to bank.
When scheduling a payment, an estimated time of arrival is provided
Here is an example of payment delivery schedule for accelerated payments (our operations team has reviewed your account and accelerated payment timing):
|Payment Currency||Monday (Day 0)||Tuesday (Day 1)||Wednesday (Day 2)||Thursday (Day 3)||Friday (Day 4)|
|CAD, EUR, GBP, HUF, MXN, USD (to Canada)||Payment is scheduled by 6 PM PT to be processed the following business day||We withdraw funds from your bank account and deposit the funds in your vendor’s bank account|
|AUD, CZK, DKK, HKD, ILS, NZD, PLN, QAR, SAR, SEK, SGD, TND, TRY||Payment is scheduled by 6 PM PT to be processed the following business day||We withdraw funds from your bank account||We deposit the funds in your vendor’s bank account|
|AED, BGN, BHD, BRL, BWP, CLP, GHS, JOD, KES, KRW, KWD, MYR, NOK, RON, RSD, THB, TWD, UGX, ZAR,
USD (except to Canada)
|Payment is scheduled by 6 PM PT to be processed the following business day||We withdraw funds from your bank account||We deposit the funds in your vendor’s bank account|
|ALL, AMD, AOA, ARS, AWG, BDT, BMD, BND, BTN, BZD, CNY, COP, CRC, CVE, DOP, DZD, FJD, GEL, GIP, GMD, GNF, GTQ, GYD, HNL, HRK, IDR, INR, ISK, JPY, KGS, KMF, KYD, KZT, LKR, LSL, MDL, MGA, MKD, MNT, MOP, MUR, MWK, MZN, NAD, NPR, PEN, PGK, PHP, PYG, RUB, RWF, SBD, SCR, SLL, SVC, SZL, TJS, TOP, TZS, UAH, UZS, VND, XCD, ZMW||Payment is scheduled by 6 PM PT to be processed the following business day||We withdraw funds from your bank account||We deposit the funds in your vendor’s bank account|
How do I know how much my vendor will receive?
- The amount we disburse to your vendor will be displayed on the payment details screen after the payment is deposited.
Can I combine international payments?
- Yes, international payments to the same vendor can be combined.
Can I cancel or void my international payments?
- Payments scheduled before 3 PM PT the day before the process date can be canceled before 4 PM PT on the business day before the process date.
- Payments scheduled after 3 PM PT the day before the process date can be canceled before 6 PM PT on the business day before the process date.
- Payment can be voided after 1 AM PT and before 5 AM PT on the process date.
- NOTE: Once the funds have been disbursed, an international payment cannot be voided.
Can I recall a payment after it has been processed?
If you need to recall a payment after it has processed and the void cutoff has passed, please contact Customer Support by clicking Contact us at the top of this page.
Note: Recalls are not guaranteed once funds have been disbursed to the destination account.
What happens if an international payment fails?
- If an international payment fails, an email notification will go to all users that can manage payments
- Contact Support to determine reason for payment failure - this process may take 1-2 business days
- Remedy the cause of the failure
- Action will need to be taken on the failed payment:
- Void and Reissue - if the vendor still needs to be paid via Bill.com
- Void and Remit - if the payment no longer needs to be made via Bill.com
What happens if I remove or change the vendor's bank information?
If you remove or change a vendor's bank information, any payments that have already begun processing will not be affected and will still process from the bank that was active when they were scheduled.
If your vendor's bank details change and a payment already in flight will fail, or your vendor's bank holds a payment due to incorrect or incomplete beneficiary details, please contact Customer Support by clicking Contact us at the top of this page.
- International payments: Set up an international vendor for payment
- International payments: What your invited vendors see
- International payments: Country information
- International payments: Pay an international vendor
- International payments: Sync with Accounting Software
- Video: Adding an international vendor
- Video: Paying international vendors electronically