If a customer pays the same amount on a recurring basis, schedule a recurring invoice to be automatically generated.
Tip: Want to have the payment automatically debited for these recurring invoices? See Resources below on how to set up a customer for Auto Charge!
Schedule a recurring invoice
- Select Invoices in the navigation menu
- Select Recurring Invoices
- Select New
- On the New Recurring Invoice page enter details, such as:
- Next Due Date - the due date of the next invoice needed
- Create - the number of days before the next due date the invoice needs to be created
- Customer - the company or person being invoiced
- Payment Terms - how soon payment is expected
- Frequency - how frequently recurring invoices need to be created
- Ends on - the date to stop creating the invoice
- If the next due date is on or after the Ends On date, the invoice won't be created
- Invoice Template - the look-and-feel of the invoice
- Item - details about the product or service for invoicing, including Description, Quantity, Price, Location, Class, Job, and whether the item is taxable
- To apply a discount, refund, or rebate, enter a negative value or percentage for Price
- Customer Message - any extra details to help the customer understand and pay the invoice
- Send Via -
- Automatically send recurring invoices - invoice will be emailed immediately once it's created.
- Email the invoice later (uncheck "Automatically send recurring invoices")
- Have Bill.com mail the invoice via USPS
- Important: For security reasons, Print/Mail Invoice is only available after an active bank account is added
- Invoice can also be printed to be mailed outside of Bill.com
- Select Save
Things to know
- If the create date is today's date or earlier, the invoice will be created within 30 minutes
- The Invoice Date will be Due Date minus the Payment Terms. If no payment terms are set, the Invoice Date will be the Due Date
- The amount of the invoice can be edited after creation, if it varies. When setting up the recurring invoice, enter an amount of $0.01
- A document can be attached from the Inbox by selecting the "Document for" dropdown menu while processing the document, and selecting the invoice
- The end date cannot be equal to the date of the last invoice date. The system views the end date as such, and won't create on that date. The end date must be at least one day after.
- Editing an existing recurring invoice setup will generate a new invoice using the new parameters within 30 minutes
- Subscription free basic accounts will need to upgrade to access this feature.