The Inbox is an intuitive, inbound-only file sharing tool designed to streamline document management while saving time and reducing or eliminating paperwork.
Once documents have been added to the Inbox, they can be used to create new or associate to existing bills, invoices, payments received, vendors or customers.
A unique Inbox email address will be generated which can be provided to vendors and customers so they can email bills and invoices directly into the account for processing.
All users can upload to the Inbox, but only users with Use Inbox permissions can setup the Inbox, and see or process documents after uploading
- Setting up the Inbox email address
- Editing the Inbox email address
- Bringing in documents
- Inbox Preferences
- Edit your Inbox preferences
When a user with Use Inbox permissions clicks Inbox for the first time, the following page is displayed:
Setting up the Inbox email address
By default, the Inbox email address will be firstname.lastname@example.org. For example: Acme and Company will be assigned the Inbox email address email@example.com. The Inbox email address can be updated by taking the following steps:
- Click Inbox in the left navigation pane
- Under Start using the inbox, click edit next to the current Inbox email address
- Enter the new Inbox email address, using a minimum of eight (8) characters in front of the @bill.com domain
- Click Save
Provide this email address to your vendors so bills can now be sent directly to the Bill.com account.
Tip: If an internal business email address has been setup for this process, set up auto forwarding from that inbox to the Bill.com email to avoid changing your vendor's process.
Editing the Inbox email address
From the Inbox page
- Click Edit next to the current Inbox email address
- Enter new Inbox email prefix
- Click Save
Bringing in documents
All users can upload documents to the Inbox, but only users with Use Inbox permissions can see or process those documents after uploading. You can bring documents into the Bill.com Inbox four (4) different ways:
Email: Email the document to the Bill.com Inbox email address
Drag and drop: Locate the document on your computer and drag the document into the Drag and drop box
Browse your computer: Click Browse your computer, locate and select the document, click Open
Fax: Fax the document(s) to the Inbox fax number
The time and date each document arrived to the inbox will on the top right of each document document
After uploading or receiving your first document, you will see an inbox preference popup, asking how you'd like to handle incoming emails that have a message in the email body (this can be changed later if needed, steps below).
- Bring attachments and email messages into the Inbox as individual documents: emails with content in the body will be in the inbox as separate documents
- Only bring in attachments (disregard email messages): anything entered into the body of the email will be ignored, and only attached documents will be shown in your inbox
You will also see a tip, letting you know you can choose between our list view inbox and our grid view inbox. This can also be changed at any time, per user, by simply clicking the view you'd prefer in the top right corner of the inbox. Check out the differences between the two here.
Edit your Inbox preferences at any time
- Click Settings
- Click Inbox
- Hover over Details, click Preferences
Email Content and Attachments
- Set to YES to bring in the body of emails sent to the inbox, as a separate document
- Set to NO to just bring in attachments from emails
- Always attach the first page of the document as default
- Always attach all pages of the document as default
You can also edit your inbox email address here, and set up an optional fax number for your inbox.