If your customers have a bank account or credit card on file, you can manually charge them to process payment for open invoices.
You must have manage invoices permissions to charge customers.
Note: If you have a subscription-free basic receivables account, these steps will not charge your customer or initiate payment. This will only mark the bill as paid, which could prevent your customer from processing payment to you. If you are expecting a live payment from your customer, don't follow these steps. Contact your customer to request that they schedule a payment to you.
Check a customer's payment info
You can check to see if your customer has payment info entered before attempting to charge them.
- Select Customers in the navigation menu
- Select the customer name
- Select More Actions
- Select Bank Accounts to see any bank accounts added
- Select Credit Cards to see any credit cards added
Note: If you or another user added the bank account or credit card, you'll see partial information, such as the last four of the card or bank account number. If the customer manages their payment info in the customer portal, you'll see only asterisks ( * ). For card payments, the portal experience is only applicable for customers using Vantage.
Charge a customer
- Select Payments in in the navigation menu
- Select Get Paid
- From the dropdown menu, select the customer to be charged
- Select Charge Customer
- Enter information such as:
- Memo - Enter notes, if necessary
- Check the "Email Receipt to Customer" box, if an emailed receipt needs to be supplied
- Select the invoice(s) this payment should be applied to and enter the amount to be applied (to each invoice if more than one)
- Select Pay From account (Bank Account or Credit Card)
- Choose account to withdraw the payment from
- Select Pay On date - the date the payment is to be debited from the customer's bank account (Credit card payments are processed immediately on the date the payment is scheduled)
- Select Submit
- Select Done
Things to know
- Once you create the payment, the Payments in screen will display a Payment date which is the projected deposit date
- We'll email you with any updates regarding the status of the payment