As a small business directed to Bill.com by a vendor to pay a bill, signing up for a free Basic Payables account has tons of benefits. Use the Network to connect with more vendors who already use Bill.com to accept payments online. We offer document storage, bill and payment management, and access to our award-winning mobile app (available for iOS and Android) to pay bills on the go!
- Basic Payables overview
- Set up a Basic Payables account
- Verify your identity
- Complete bank account verification
- Automatically created bills
Basic Payables overview
The free Basic Payables account allows you to pay multiple companies in a more organized and streamlined way. Rather than having to log into multiple Customer Portals (one for each company) to pay invoices, you can manage business contacts, connect with companies using Bill.com, pay bills, and more, all in one place. You can also pay your bills using the Bill.com mobile app!
Differences between Basic Payables, Customer Portal, and Advanced Payables accounts
A Basic Payables account is the lite version of Bill.com Payables. It's ideal for businesses who want to pay vendors without more advanced features, like syncing with an accounting system or running reports. Many of our features are only available to Advanced accounts. Check out the differences by account type in the table below:
|Feature||Basic Payables - Unverified (Free)||Basic Payables - Transact with anyone (Free with transaction fees)||Customer Portal (Free)||Advanced Payables (Paid)|
|Pay all bills from Bill.com users||Yes (Limited) - Can make payments to any Bill.com subscriber (paid only)||Yes - Can make payments to any Bill.com subscriber for free||No - Can pay only one Bill.com subscriber per Customer Portal||Yes - Can connect with and make payments to any Bill.com user (free and paid)|
|Pay bills from non-Bill.com users||No||Yes - Can make payments to non-Bill.com users for minimal transaction fees||No||Yes - 1. Can send check payments to any vendor
2. Payment information can be entered manually, without vendor(s) using Bill.com
|Create / manage bills||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Full use of the Bill.com Inbox||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
(Connect with businesses using Bill.com, send messages, send bills/invoices and more)
|Pay via Bank Account||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Pay via Credit Card||No||No||Yes||No|
|Pay with the Bill.com Mobile App||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Sync with Accounting System||No||No||No||Yes|
Set up a Basic Payables account
- In the email you receive from a vendor, click Pay Invoice Electronically
- Create a password and make the other required selections
- For a free Basic Payables account, select Business
- Next, any bills and vendor credits the vendor has already created will be brought in to the account so it may take a few minutes to update
- The invoice clicked on in the email will auto populate and be available to pay
- Click Review & pay
- Enter your mobile number for Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA); this is the number where we will send a code to verify your identity when you (or anyone else) tries to pay bills or access sensitive info.
- Click Add Bank Account
- Fill out some information about your company and click Next
- Note: To remain compliant with laws and regulations surrounding money movement, a Tax ID is required
- Enter Bank account details
- Click Ok got it
- Select the Process Date (date the bank accout will be debited)
- Click Pay
- Click Done
Verify your identity
In some cases, we need additional information to verify your account. If so, on the Overview page, you will see an additional step to complete: Verify your identity to activate your bank account
Complete bank account verification
After you receive the test transaction in your bank account, enter it in Bill.com to complete the verification process.
- Click Settings
- Under Your Company, click Bank Accounts
- Click the bank account number
- Click Verify Account
- Enter the amount of the test transaction
- Click Verify
If you enter the incorrect test transaction amount multiple times and your account then is blocked, you will need to add the bank account again, and wait for a new test transaction.
Automatically created bills
We will automatically create matching bills in your Basic Payables account, when a vendor you are connected to via the Network enters an invoice in their account, to invoice you for payment.
Your vendor will be able to see the invoice and payment tracking within their Bill.com account. If you do not see a bill under your vendor's profile, they have not started the process or sent the invoice to your account yet.