Understanding accounting preferences
There are a number of accounting preferences that can be used to manage the Bill.com account:
- Show Account Numbers
- Show Vendor Id in Vendor Dropdown
- Use Departments
- Use Locations
- Use Classes
- Use Jobs
- Show Company Name in Customer Dropdown
- Use Dimensions in Payables
- Use Customers / Jobs in Payables
- Use Items in Payables
- Vendor / Customer Sequence Id
- Show Chart of Accounts on Bill and Invoice Items
- Show GL Posting Date on Bills and Invoices
Show Account Numbers
- Allows the account number associated with a GL account to be shown when entering bill details. Enable this preference if there are account numbers assigned to the Chart of Accounts in the accounting software.
Show Vendor Id in Vendor Dropdown
- If enabled, this preference allows both the vendor name and vendor Id to be shown when creating a new bill
- An accounting classification used to specify groups or divisions within a company, such as Marketing, HQ, or Asia-Pacific NOTE: Classes in QuickBooks for Windows and QuickBooks Enterprise are referred to as Departments in Bill.com. If using Classes in QuickBooks for Windows or QuickBooks Enterprise, select Yes for Use Departments in Bill.com.
- An accounting classification used to specify geographical groupings, such as Midwest, Main Office, or Downtown
- Categories unique to the company or business, defined in accounting software for reporting purposes NOTE: Classes in QuickBooks for Windows and QuickBooks Enterprise are referred to as Departments in Bill.com. If using Classes in QuickBooks for Windows or QuickBooks Enterprise, select Yes for Use Departments in Bill.com
- Projects with their own set of income or expenses NOTE: Jobs is currently not supported in the Xero integration
Show Company Name in Customer Dropdown
- If the Customer Name and Company Name differ, this preference allows both to be shown when creating a bill or invoice
Use Dimensions in Payables
The below preferences are specific to accounts integrating with Intacct:
- Use Vendors: If enabled, vendor information will sync to both the top level and line item level of bills in Intacct. This allows for greater reporting capabilities within Intacct.
- Use Customers: Associate expenses with customers whom products or services are sold to and/or projects for those customers
- Use Employees: Associate expenses to employees at the business or company
- Use Items: Code bill line items to specific products and services
Use Customers/ Jobs in Payables
- Associate expenses with customers whom products or services are sold to and/or projects for those customers
Use Items in Payables
- Code bill line items to specific products and services
Vendor/ Customer Sequence Id
- Select "Use auto-numbering" if auto-numbering has been enabled for vendor Ids in the accounting software. Otherwise, select "Enter Id manually" to manually enter the Ids for new vendors.
Show Chart of Accounts on Bill and Invoice Items
- Enter a GL account in addition to items when creating bills or invoices
Show GL Posting Date on Bills and Invoices
- For Intacct integrations. Specify the GL Posting Date to be used by your accounting software
- For NetSuite integrations, this field does not sync with NetSuite. Although this preference is available in accounts connected to NetSuite, a bill generated in Bill.com will carry its invoice date upon syncing to NetSuite. The posting period for the bill will be determined by the invoice date and how you have defined your posting periods in NetSuite.
- This preference is not available for QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks for Windows or Xero
If you do not see the described feature available in Bill.com, you may not have access to the feature based on permissions for your role and/or your plan does not have this feature. If you wish to get access to the feature, please review the available plans for Bill.com and upgrade accordingly or contact the Administrator of your Bill.com account. Changes in monthly user fees may apply.